Praline Baked French Toast for Two


Well I'm back folks! The past few weeks have been pretty crazy for me. My family has been going through a lot of changes and struggles lately which really demanded my attention. On top of that midterm season is here and I've been working on scholarship essays and applications for law school! Anyways with all these new developments I didn't really get much time to make anything blogable, if you know what I mean. Like really though I've basically been subsisting off of The Baking Fairy's Vegan Chickpea Noodle soup.... I make a huge batch at the beginning of the week and then literally eat it all day. It's just so yummy and with this crazy cold weather, all I ever want to do is cuddle up with a warm of bowl and a mug of steaming tea. But things are finally starting to look up now. I've gotten some acceptance letters back from different law schools and my family issues are starting to calm down. I thought I'd celebrate my reemergence back into the real world with some delicious french toast. I love french toast. I'm kinda a sucker for classy anything, and if you don't think french toast is classy you need to reevaluate your life. When the world gets overwhelming I like to surround myself with simple and beautiful things, like a nice brunch, flowers or an Iron & Wine record. It helps me to relax and remember that even in my darkest moments there will always be a source of love and beauty in the world. So my darling readers, I am sending you love, beauty and prayers so that you may have the strength to  face whatever struggles or obstacles are in your way. But remember even the best warriors need to rest. Don't be afraid to take some time for yourself to focus on you. Whether that be taking a long bath, watching a marathon of Friends, or eating some of this Baked French Toast, I hope you find the time to recharge and that after you do those big walls don't seem so high, and the demons you've been facing aren't so scary after all.





Ingredients
3 cups of torn bits of gluten free bread
1 very ripe medium banana
1 cup almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cups crushed walnuts
3 tbsp agave

Instructions
1. In a blender or food processor blend banana, almond milk, vanilla extract, nutmeg and cinnamon until smooth and creamy.
2. Pack your torn bits of gluten free bread into a small baking dish (about 3x6) then pour the almond milk liquid over the bits. Place baking dish in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight (no more than 8 hours).
3. Remove baking dish from the refrigerator and preheat the oven to 350. While your oven in preheating, stir together the crushed walnuts and 1 tsbp of agave in a small bowl, then sprinkle it over the top of the french toast.
4. Bake the french toast for 30-35 minutes. When you remove the french toast from the oven drizzle the remaining 2 tbsps of agave and any chopped fruit you like (I used pears) and serve immediately. This cooking time leads to a soft bread pudding sort of texture, if you would like your french toast to be a bit firmer you can bake it for 5-10 minutes longer.

Want to be especially classy and comfy while munching on your brunch? Check out this fabulous long sleeve I got from The Tree Kisser's shop. The full quote says "Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world I think about the arrival gates at Heathrow Airport." Yes it's a quote from Love Actually... On a shirt. Swoon. But really, we all get overwhelmed and feel like the world is never going to be ok again, but this shirt (and the movie) are wonderful reminders that love and beauty exist in everyday moments, and the more we recognize the, the happier we will be as people. The Tree Kisser is a fabulous vegan activist and stylish lady who puts her two passions together to create incredible clothing pieces that are environmentally and social responsible. She also donates a portion of her profits to a different animal rescue or nonprofit each month! So check her out and show her some love!


Comments

Popular Posts