Tomato Bisque & Avocado Grilled Cheese



I am probably the world's pickiest tomato bisque consumer. I have personally made it my life's mission to seek out the best tomato soups. Before I became vegan there were only two places in the entire world (or rather College Station, Tx area) that had a tomato bisque that I liked: Madden's Casual Gourmet and Blue Baker. But these variations used dairy products so once I became vegan I had to give them up. Since then I have been trying to create a vegan tomato bisque recipe up to my standards. The biggest issue I have with many tomato bisque recipes is that they have a distinct and very powerful sweet undertone. I am personally not a fan of the sweet variety. I prefer my tomato bisque to be smoky, spicy and savory. So after many months and hundreds of tomatoes I bring you this darling! I hope you enjoy! 




Ingredients:
Soup
8 roma tomatoes (you can either use whole canned tomatoes or fresh ones)
1 yellow onion
4 gloves garlic
1/3 cup vegetable stock
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
Olive oil for drizzling
     Roux:
     1/4 cup earthbalance
     1/4 cup flour
     1 cup almond milk
     1/4 cup nutritional yeast

Grilled Cheese
two slices of your choice of bread (be sure to use a variety that does not have bleached flour)
1/4 of a small avocado (thinly sliced)
1/4 cup of daiya mozzarella cheese
dash of black pepper
2 tsp of earth balance divided






Instructions:
Soup
pre-heat oven to 350
1. Slice tomatoes in half and place in a deep pan. Drizzle with olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper
2. Slice onion into half moons and dice garlic. Place in a separate pan. Drizzle with olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper
3. Bake tomatoes, garlic and onion for 20 min
4. While those are baking prepare your Roux.
5. In a medium sauce pan melt 1/4 cup of earth balance over medium heat. 
6. Once the e.b is melted whisk in flour until smooth.
7. Whisk in almond milk and nutritional yeast until smooth.
8. Let the roux thicken for about 2 minutes stirring continuously.
9. Remove from heat.
10. Once tomatoes, onion and garlic have finished baking place them all in a food processor along with the vegetable stock. Blend until smooth.
11. Pour tomato paste into the roux and whisk together.
12. Serve warm. You can add some shredded daiya mozzarella to the finished soup. I would recommend microwaving the soup with the daiya shreds on top for about 30-45 secs on high. This will help the daiya cheese to melt and provide a creamier consistency.
Grilled Cheese
1. Butter one side of each slice of bread with earth balance.
2. On an unbuttered slice spread out your daiya cheese (you can use the shredded or black variety).
3. Place the second slice of bread on top of the daiya cheese with the buttered side facing up.
4. Grill each side over medium heat for about 3 minutes or until golden brown on each side.
5. Remove sandwich from heat and pull the slices of bread apart.
6. On the cheese side lay out your avocado so that one slice slightly overlaps the other.
7. Sprinkle some black pepper over the avocado if desired.

Resemble the sandwich and voila! A tasty grilled cheese to go with your soup!


The hubby crashed my photo-shoot by stealing away the soup and grilled cheese. He said he just couldn't wait any more. Well I guess I'd rather have him trying to steal my food away than throwing it away!

Comments

Popular Posts