Vegan Gingerbread Cookies

One of the best things about the holidays is the amazing food that you get to experience only this time of the year. Usually these holidays delicacies are loaded with butter, fat, and a variety of other non vegan grossness.  My favorite part of the holidays when I was a little girl was making and decorating cookies at my granny's house. Raised by hippie, health freak moms, this was the one time of the year where my cousin and I could gorge ourselves on cookies, icing and sprinkles! However, now I seem to have taken on my mother's opinions about food and health. I guess when we turn into our mothers we inherit their good qualities too tehehehe. 
Anyways....
As the holidays hit, I got a strong craving for gingerbread cookies that could not be ignored! I tried several other vegan gingerbread cookies but found myself dissatisfied with them for one reason or another. Thus, this recipe was born!

I hope you enjoy!




Ingredients:
2/3 vegan shortening
1 1/3 brown sugar
2/3 molasses
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 baking powder
1/2 baking soda
3 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt 1 tsp cloves
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon 
1 tbp ginger


Instructions
Preheat oven 375
Cream vegan shortening and brown sugar
Add molasses and vanilla
In a separate container combine baking powder, baking soda, flour, salt and spices
Mix dry ingredients into wet until a dough forms
Roll dough out until it is 1/4 inch thick
Cut the dough into various shapes! (namely Gingerbread Men!!)
Place cutouts onto a greased pan and bake for 6 minutes

You can find the recipe for the frosting we made here!!!!


Gotta love my little sister Helaina's final product



Comments

Popular Posts